Friday 24 April 2015

Mud/ Glass Table/ Gunnera: Off the Map



I was really happy with this day, all my texturing development and new engine knowledge all came to fruition.



Within not much time I created this cracked/ dried out mud texture. 



Here I have two tiles, one which is the correct tile for the Albedo and another which is much larger. This creates large inconsistencies across the surface of the texture and greater tonal contrast due to large area in shadow. This breaks up the texture and offsets the tillable nature of it.

I have also used Macro variation which also helps in the exact same way as above. Also here I have used a higher tile than the Albedo to improve textures quality when under closer scrutiny.

Rabbit Hole Texture

I then also created a more gravelly/dusty mud texture. This is for the rabbit hole, embankments and basically anywhere where there would be mud, but where it wouldn’t or couldn’t bake flat.




Again I was happy with this texture.


The Glass Table

I made the glass table to look like a draping fabric. I thought It would be nice as the rest of this Puzzle Room will be extremely angular.


I did spend ages trying to make a good glass texture, but this is seemingly impossible. At some point the texture would make sense, but often if you looked at other table legs through a table leg, this is when it would start to look off. So if this was simply a plain, or simply a less complex shape, I think it would be possible to do a good glass texture.

So instead I went for the current iteration of the design. Here I have tried to capture frosted glass.

Gunnera


Here I have modelled and textured a Large Gunnera plant and its flowers. These are amazing plants so I thought they would make a nice point of interest for this start environment.

Also In the forest part of our game I thought they would make a nice/dynamic change in environment. At this point in the level Alice will be 3 inches tall. This means when putting her in a traditional forest, she is dwarfed and the landscape is extremely restricted, as you can’t get too close to a tree because it will dominate so much of the environment.  So if part of the forest were actually within a Gunnera forest, this will be closer in scale to normal scale people in a traditional forest.  This means that she could be walking in and amongst the trunks of these plants. Also the shapes and lighting caused by the Gunnera flowers and also always being under these large translucent leaves could be very interesting.



I used a scatter function in 3DS-Max to scatter the thorns across the surface of the trunks. 













No comments:

Post a Comment