After looking at the above model I thought that I had done a good job of removing pinching and general shading errors.
Because of this I moved on to the interior and then unwrapped and packed the whole car.
It was at this point that I was made aware of the real challenge when creating a glossy car model body. This is how reflections and light will completely break at the slightest imperfection causing extremely distorted reflections.
In this image the panel below the side crease that runs the length of the car appears to be flat and smooth. I now know that simply getting the car looking clean at this point has very little bearing to how light will react to the car when it’s in an environment with a glossy finish.
The above image clearly shows that the car shell is far from finished. I’m not actually shore how to fix these issues, the errors are extreme and seam inconsistent with the slight errors that must exist in the geometry. I don’t know if this can be fixed by simply moving individual vertexes until the area is smoother, the tolerances here might be so fine that this will be impossible to do by hand. This could also be a problem with the normals.
Prior to these revelations I did make several high poly tyres and backed these down.
First high poly tire
Second bake. I now need to come up with a better design for the centre of the tire as this one isn't backing down very well.