Sunday 15 February 2015

The Container



I wanted to make a slightly futuristic yet relatable crate. To do this I kept to the corrugated surface of today’s containers as this is a visual queue that will make them instantly recognisable. Also corrugated metal is a very industrial form. To make them futuristic I used basic geometric patterns, to make complex sci-Fi style shapes. By using a geometric grid I was also able to make the design symmetrical on more than one axis. This meant that I only had to unwrap a quarter of the container, the rest is overlaid. Doing this has doubled our potential texture density for the container.




I then modelled this container, its actually super low poly and only came in at around 3000 tries. The example container which we could have used that was supplied by our uni was over 6000 tries.

I then did a projection map pass on the container this added lots of additional detail. Upon finishing this entire project one of the pieces of feedback I got was that with today’s advances, and how engines deal with geometry, I could have easily modelled all of these details with physical geometry, and this would not have really affected how our level ran.












No comments:

Post a Comment