Sunday 15 February 2015

Texturing The Crate



I tried recreating different metal types when texturing the container, first a metal that doesn’t rust, maybe aluminium. I made shore I added ware here on all edges, this was mostly done using the roughness and metallness maps.  




After looking at this I decided to have more visible metal, with rust. This would replicate worn stainless steel.


I really liked the finish of the above crate, but the feedback I got was to replicate the wear of current day containers. Currently crates are made of steel, when steal rusts through paint normally no metal is actually visible, any steel open to the air will be rust.


This crate has a much more dramatic appearance. The level of rust also indicates a harsher environment and also a grater passing of time. These are things we want the texturing of our assets to communicate.

The colour green here is not permanent I also created a mask that hides all the parts of the container that are not painted. This way the colour of the crate can be changed in engine.



 This is the plywood floor texture. Here I also projection mapped the gap between the boards and then ruffed up the edge of this in Photoshop. Also I have projection mapped a slight warp in every board, they are not flat so the light should catch them slightly differently.

This process involved a lot of projection mapping, probably around a hundred layers and dozens of hightmaps. 




No comments:

Post a Comment