Saturday 24 January 2015

Texturing



 I textured the hand and face in Z-Brush. Even though I was pushed for time with this project I still wanted to learn new processes. I used an amazing feature of Z-Brush called Spotlight. This allows you to place an image over the top of your geometry and then project the image onto it via poly painting. This is actually extremely efficient.



 I also quickly textured the hands in Z-Brush and backed this detail onto a texture sheet.

This combined with improved texturing techniques resulted in really quite successful textures. Whilst texturing I made shore to keep all the different details on different layers. This way for example after applying the mud to the albedo, I could then grab the layer with only the mud on it and create a height map (which would be fed into crazy bump) from it so that all the mud would actually protrude from the surface. This black and white information for just the mud could then be altered and added to the Roughness.


 I did begin to model some hair, which I was going to give a natural fall to via the cloth modifier. This looked like it could have been a successful process but I ran out of time.









 During this project I have learnt allot about the cloth modifier, I have also learnt a new process via Z-Brushes Spotlight system. I have improved my skill in general Z-Brush Sculpting and texturing and I am happy with the face I created.


The general finale mesh as it sits right now fully textured over all is still in my opinion really quite appalling. No matter how well I had textured the model it was never going to save the coat.

Design wise I actually do really like these two characters and their dichotomy.

Big, scary, invulnerable, powerful, imposing alien.



Venerable, relatable, little girl. 

If I was to do this project again, I would stick with my first designs. That way I would have had an extra week to truly create something amazing. Those characters showed off a greater ability to design and they were more interesting when you were only viewing one of them. They were also more dynamic. They were more interesting and had more points of interest.



If I had done what I wanted to with this project, I would have a portfolio quality piece right now. Also I would have a portfolio piece relating to character design and modelling and texturing, which I currently do not have a single example of. Also now if I want to create a piece that demonstrated this I will have to do it in my own time as we do not have another character project this year. 






No comments:

Post a Comment