Saturday 24 January 2015

Second Character Design


I had already decided that I wanted the second character to be human, this was due to this being apparently our only character project of the year, so I should use this rare opportunity to better my human character modelling skills. At this point I have only ever sculpted one human, and this being an extremely difficult task I need all the time in this area as I can get. 

I also actually have an idea, plot, relationship between the characters that I am going to be designing to.

We aren’t meant to delving into this side of things, but I like giving my characters purpose, I struggle to see how you can design from a blank slate.  Especially when at this point I have already established another character, which this character has to live in the same world as. 

It’s still a simply setting though, no complex back story.

The woman (it’s going to be a female) has been in hiding from this alien (and or alien species), she is part of rebellion that is struggling to fight back. She is not military

This girl has given up all hope, so as a last resort attack she yields to the alien simply to get close to it. Her intension is then to blow herself up, killing herself and hopefully also the alien.

 Mood Board



I liked the idea of the girl wearing a traditional yellow rain coat. Its relatable and also nostalgic to children’s stories. One of the re accruing pieces of feedback we all received, was that we had all designed attractive, white, skinny 20 ish year old characters. So here I have looked at how I could place this idea in Africa.

Silhouettes



The best silhouettes here are the African ones. After looking into this further and discussing it with peers, I realised that if I am going to design what is basically a suicide bomber she will have to be white. This is due to the current world political climate. Obviously all nations, and all nationalities and ethnical groups have used such methods of attack, currently prejudice is aimed at those of colour. So if I was to create an African suicide bomber many would simply view it as a terrorist. I’m only saying this because I know people that would consider anyone who is not white or Asian, as a terrorist even when they are not carrying a bomb. So because of this existing ignorants , if I am designing a suicide bomber who is not meant to have any connection with today’s political climate she must be white and or Asian and western in her appearance.  I’ve included Asians here because I don’t think even the most ignorant of people would relate Asians to what’s happening currently between the west and the middle east (well mostly the middle east obviously it’s a worldwide, movement also taking part right across western countries themselves and including people of western heritage).

Quick Further Development

I spent to long working on the alien design and have no time left for design, especially when I take into account the quality of finish I want to achieve with this character. So I have had to compromise allot. I need a design that will be simple to texture to a high quality. So a design with only a handful of materials for me to nail.



Because of this I picked the large raincoat idea. The rain coat will cover her entire torso, thus I will not have to design, and then model and texture, a shirt, trousers and an explosive vest for example. 





I still toyed with other designs, but had to come back to the large yellow rain coat. I added wires to insinuate a large amount of hidden explosives, and a detonator. I do think this design was the best choice regardless of time constraints. Something about the bright yellow rain coat is really nostalgic of a better more peaceful time for this character, especially when paired with some playfully coloured boots.







No comments:

Post a Comment