Monday 25 April 2016

FMP:Design and Modelling


This is a functioning sporty 1930s style chassi. 







The car got to this point with most of its forms in just a few days. Progress quickly became less apparent when I began altering these forms and creating good usable forms/geometry and unwrapping.  

There are many areas here where I have completely redesigned forms from the 2D concept. Some of these changes are large e.g. the general form of the entire car is different, I've made the car allot wider and lower. The engine is mostly the same as the concept but simplified. 

I've been struggling with what to do with the back of the vehicle, initially I removed the rear "jet", I did this because it felt like this was an obvious form, similar to adding guns to a design to make it cool. A well designed vehicles form should be cool on its own without guns and or rockets to sell it. Obviously the rocket itself alters the cars form dramatically so it's not that I have an unsuccessful form that I have stuck a metaphor for speed onto (rocket/jet), the rocket is actually part of the cars form.  

I am still toying with the rocket though. I do like how it elongates the car.



No comments:

Post a Comment